Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Making ginger Beer 🍺

Kia Ora Readers!

Today in science we learn't how to make ginger beer with ginger. We firstly did the blogpost and then on the next lesson we made the ginger beer. 

 Aim: I want to know how to brew ginger beer.

Research:                 








Method:

Equipment:
  • Ginger (source of sugar)
  • lemon
  • Warm water
  • Yeast
  • Cup
  • Spoon/popsicle stick
Instructions:
  1. Wash your hands thoroughly with water and soap.
  2. Get all of the equipment required. 
  3. Cut up/ mince 1 tablespoon of ginger.
  4. Put 1 tablespoon of ginger into the cup.
  5. Fill the cup half way with warm water.
  6. Add 1 teaspoon of yeast into the cup of ginger and water.
  7. Mix the mixture together with a spoon.
  8. Leave the ginger beer mixture to ferment for 6 days or as long as you want.
  9. After 6 days you can finally drink it and taste test it. 

Results:






Before --------> 

 After ------> 







Disscussion:

Sugar
  • Potato = Vodka ( Leave for 3 to 5 days) 
  • Rye =  Whiskey ( Leave for 5 to 10 days)
  • Apples = Cider ( Leave for 5 to 14 days)
  • Grapes =  Wine ( Leave for 3 to 4 weeks)
  • Hops = beer ( Leave for 2 to 4 months, 6 to 10 hours hand brewing)
What is fermentation?
 
Fermentation is when yeast eats the sugar and excretes carbon dioxide and alcohol.

What are the best conditions of brewing?

Making sure the alcohol is at a cool temperature by chilling the drink, not shaking the drink so that the surface area doesn't get increased etc.


What is the difference between beer, cider, wine, vodka and whiskey?

Liquor drinks such as vodka, whiskey and brandy are called "distilled alcoholic beverages."  Drinks like these will be more alcoholic proof. The opposite of this is " undistilled alcoholic beverages"  these drinks include less alcohol like beer, champagne, port, sherry and cider.


Tasting the ginger beer:



 My ginger tasted absolutely disgusting. For me it was a big fail. It tasted very watery and tasteless. I think I didn't add enough ginger, lemon and sugar. It lost it sweetness and became gross. It smelt very strong.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post